Remembering Betty White

Annika Yoder, Reporter

Betty White, legendary television and movie actress, passed away on Dec. 31, just shy of her 100th birthday. White’s agent, Jeff Witjas, told the press that she died peacefully in her sleep from the aftermath of a stroke. The death came as a shock to the world, as it was believed that White was in good health.

Betty White became a household name around the country from her impressive resume of movie television appearances. White is known for her work in comedy and has starred in the hit television series’, “The Golden Girls” and “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.” Besides just her work on television, White has also worked on numerous movies and got the opportunity to host SNL in 2010.

Despite her age, and spending a lifetime in the public eye, she was always a great person,” sophomore Zach Ruth said. “Not once in her decades as a celebrity did she do anything really all that controversial or negative. She was just a great person despite her age and time as a celebrity.” 

White was known as both incredibly successful in her career and as a role model for many. She was loved by many, including celebrities and politicians. People made sure to send kind tributes after her unfortunate death, including Joe and Jill Biden, Ryan Reynolds and many others.

“She was great at defying expectation,” Ryan Reynolds tweeted. “She managed to grow very old and somehow, not old enough. We’ll miss you, Betty.”

Betty White was seen as a role model for how to grow old with grace. When White turned 97, she gave some tips for living like her in an interview with ABC. If you have the desire to age like Betty White, consider following her mantra, that it is important to not let negativity consume your life, to enjoy the cheat days, and to remember that age is just a number.

I think she was seen as an innocent person, who had a lively personality for her age,” freshman Mia Malcom said. “She was living all her life, her popularity never dropped.” 

Throughout the last years of her life, White was often referred to as “America’s Grandma.” Although White decided to not have children in her life, she was still looked at as a grandmother to many. A survey sent out to the student body at Newton High School showed that 40% of participants referred to White as “America’s Grandma.”

She was very popular among the old tv shows and movies,” junior Marian Clevenger said. “She was the “Grandma of America” so to speak. She was an inspiration to everyone.”

Betty White had a very successful career. She was a pioneer in television who won five Emmys throughout her career. White was looked at as an inspiration by many and her 80-year-career will not be forgotten.

“I would always watch her when I was younger, she would make me laugh and I loved watching her so much,” Clevenger said. “When I heard of her passing I cried for hours.”