Students discuss access to drugs on campus

Daniel Gonzalez-Arevalo, Newtonian Sports Manager

High school brings about a whole new way of life for many students. Exposure to things such as picking your own classes, going to class with people who may not be in your grade and extracurricular activities. However, a problem that students who are transitioning to high school have always had to deal with has been the exposure to drugs and other illegal substances. 

In recent weeks, NHS students have been caught and disciplined for bringing illegal substances to campus. While the situation is something that many students do not see very often, some students remain unsurprised.

“I don’t think it is very shocking to be honest, if you look around our high school drugs are everywhere and are probably not going anywhere any time soon,” anonymous said. “I do not think our administrators or SRO have any idea what actually goes on.”

In response to the recent drug related activities on campus, the students caught have been disciplined with suspensions and expulsions. Despite the outcomes of these situations, some students still believe that the punishments given to those found guilty are not harsh enough and believe it has become easier to acquire illegal substances.

“I think [acquiring drugs on campus] has become way too easy because our administration just straight up does not even try to stop it,” anonymous said. “It is so easy to get anything you need if you know certain people and it is happening all the time right outside in our own parking lot.”

Other students believe that some substances are easier to acquire than others. 

“In regards to weed, I think it is so easy to get it,” anonymous said. “Literally anybody could and I don’t know how to phrase it but I don’t think drugs are meant for everyone. I think some people can handle smoking weed on occasions, and taking edibles and such, but I don’t think drugs are made for everybody. Not everyone is smart about it. Like kids that think that they need to smoke a blunt every morning before going to school.”

The anonymous sources also believe that classmates are not taking into consideration the long term effects of their drug use.

“Studies have shown that large amounts of marijuana intake before the age of 21 and before your brain is fully developed is really detrimental for your health,” anonymous said. “So I think that a lot of students don’t take that into consideration. They don’t take addiction into consideration because weed is a gateway drug.”

The use of marijuana has become a very popular debate in recent years with states debating whether or not it should be legalized. Some students believe that the punishments concerning marijuana should be less severe due to the effects it can have on the future of students.

“So many drug busts are just based around weed,” anonymous said. “I think it’s a little dramatic. I think that weed is the safest drug, in my opinion. It’s a natural plant, it’s commonly used and we know a lot about it. If it was for a different drug class, I would totally understand juvie, prison and expulsion. But for weed, I think that it should be reevaluated and especially in the courtroom.”

Despite the recent drug busts and the punishments being dealt, the anonymous sources believe that the drug problem will not stop anytime soon. 

“People are selfish and they think they know the best even when they don’t,” anonymous said. “It’s just a natural human trait. People think that they know what’s good and what’s bad. I don’t think there will ever be a time period in the future where drugs are not an issue or drugs are not being used, especially in our age group. I don’t see that happening.”