Art department hosts annual art show

Art department hosts annual art show

Matt Olson, Reporter

On the weekend of May 8-9, the art department hosted the annual art show to celebrate the accomplishments of the students who took art classes this school year. In order to keep in correspondence with COVID-19 guidelines, this year’s art show was structured a bit differently than in years previous. Masks were required in order to attend, and social distancing was strongly enforced. With Willis Gym, the usual location for the event, under construction, the art show was instead held in the commons, which allowed more space for people to spread out. 

The art show is intended to be a great way to bring attention to what some consider an underrated department at the school. Students create work all year to present it to the community as a celebration of their hard work and creative abilities.

“The goal of an art show is to showcase student work in a professional way to prepare them for the professional art world,” art teacher Eden Quispe said. “Drama and choir have shows and this is very similar, only visual. I am hoping next year we will be able to make the displays larger since there will be more in person students.”

In order to participate in the art showcase, there are a few simple objectives that students are required to meet. The student must be taking an art class, and have created enough artwork throughout the year to present, but overall it is a completely optional event to take part in.

“Students must have been enrolled in an art class, but all students who were enrolled have the opportunity to submit something,” Quispe said.

Senior Tessa Preheim has been focusing on her artwork the entire school year in preparation for the art show, as well as for AP testing in art. 

“I took Art Basics [during] my sophomore year, and then Painting and Drawing II [during] my junior year,” Preheim said. “Now I am in [Independent Study] IS Art, which is basically AP Art.”

Although this year’s art show was a bit out of the ordinary, members of the community were still able to see the artwork that the students displayed.

“We got more turnout than expected due to pops and jazz ending up at the high school rather than the park,” Quispe said. “The turnout seemed about average with a slow trickle of people at the least.” 

All in all, despite the circumstances of this school year, Quispe believes that this year’s art show was a success. 

“I love the personality that the senior art exhibits show,” Quispe said. “I love that the community can come and see what Railer students can do.”