Murry becomes first NHS girls wrestling state placer

Lucy Buller, Reporter

On Feb. 25, sophomore Jaymie Murry made history as the first female wrestler from NHS to ever place at state. After just two years of wrestling, Murry’s hard work has paid off as she placed sixth in the state tournament. 

“When I went to a wrestling practice at the middle school a couple days before basketball tryouts freshman year I never thought I’d be making history as the first girl wrestler to ever place at state,” Murry said. “Earlier in the year I was having a really good season but when I found out we would have to go through both regionals and then sub-state to get to state, I lost a lot of faith in myself and my abilities.”

Murry has been wrestling since the girls program was started two years ago, but last year she did not even make it to the second day of the regional tournament. 

“Jaymie is the kind of athlete that every coach wants on their team. I had always heard that Jaymie was very athletic but I didn’t know how that would translate to the wrestling mat,” coach Summer Werner said. “Jaymie won’t be the last NHS wrestler to place at state but I couldn’t think of a better person to make history and do it first.”

Werner also said that Murry is a good leader, is kind to everyone, works hard, but most of all she has fun while she does it.

“My first match was against the number one seed and I was the seventh seed so my hopes were not too high, but a motto we have on the team whenever any of us feel intimidated by our opponent is ‘it’s not what you think,’” Murry said. “It comes from some silly story Coach Stokes told us last year about how even if you think you’re going to lose, well it’s not what you think. Telling myself this before going into my match, I had a really good feeling.”

Murry was pinned by Rebekah Smith of Washburn Rural in her first match, who went on to win the 155 pound weight class tournament. 

“I was in the third period of my first match tied with the soon-to-be state champ and I was just thinking like, ‘wow this is possible, I can do this’. Unfortunately, I got headlocked and was pinned in the third but this gave me all the confidence to go into my next match ready to win and I did. It was a tough match no doubt but I had nothing to lose and I gave it my all. It was truly unbelievable and I was so unbelievably happy after,” Murry said. “It’s been a great season this year with some amazing coaches and girls. I wouldn’t have been able to make it as far as I have without them. This has been an amazing experience that I will never forget and although it’s just sixth place it showed me that being state champion in the years to come is just within reach.”

According to sophomore wrestler Nick Treaster, Murry placing at state was not only great for her, but for the community as well. Treaster said that because Murry got some wins under her belt early on in the season, it motivated her to keep working hard, and that was when she started seeing success that she would not have imagined for herself last year. One wall in the wrestling room is covered with awards and records, a wall that Murry will soon join. 

“Seeing all the posts and support I had behind me that night was a great feeling no doubt and it still doesn’t seem real that I’ve made history,” Murry said. “In practice the week before state, one of the boys team captains and now two-time state champ Nick Treaster was saying how Pat Schill is the first guy up on the wall in the wrestling room and I was going to be the first girl. I didn’t believe it when he said it but I did it, I made it on the wall and will forever be the first girl to place at state for Newton High.”