Students share opinions of Valentine’s Day

Students share opinions of Valentines Day

Lucy Buller, Reporter

When it comes to Valentine’s Day, students at NHS have a conflicted approach this year. A survey of 100 students showed that only about 50% of the students surveyed celebrate Valentine’s Day, while about 27% do not, 3% do sometimes, and 20% have other answers. 

An annual Valentine’s Day survey conducted by the National Retail Federation (NRF), shows the percentage of Americans that are celebrating the holiday, the average expected spending and the total expected spending. Though the approximate percentage of Americans celebrating has decreased from the 55% celebrating in 2020 to just 52% this year, the spending average increased the most it ever had in 2020, totaling at about $196 per person and $27.4 billion nationally. This year, the estimated average per person is approximately $165 and the national average is an estimated $21.8 billion, which would be the most significant decrease in the past decade. 

“I suppose people are falling in love less and not putting themselves out into the dating scene as much,” junior Gabriella Mayes said. “I think now people are looking for short-term relationships more instead of a committed long-term relationship.”

Though the way Mayes celebrates Valentine’s Day with her family has not changed much over the past decade, the pandemic will change the way that sophomore Mohamed Farah celebrates the holiday. 

“Before the Coronavirus hit, I would spend my Valentine’s going outside with friends, doing something as a group,” Farah said. “Now the plan is more like you would just say Happy Valentine’s and send them a text since you can’t really hang out much.”

COVID-19 is likely to change or cancel plans for many people planning to celebrate, but junior Jasper Krehbiel’s plans will stay the same. 

“Valentine’s Day is either a day where you feel very loved or very lonely,” Krehbiel said. “It’s extremely commercial and it makes people feel horrible. I hate it.” 

A recent Valentine’s Day and Dating study from the dating app Plenty of Fish revealed that 43% of single app-users surveyed consider Valentine’s Day to be the most pressure-filled holiday, with one in five wishing that the holiday would be canceled altogether. Krehbiel says that he does not celebrate Valentine’s Day and thinks people are realizing the truth about the holiday. Senior Griffin Davis agrees with Krehbiel that Valentine’s Day is an unnecessary holiday, and his favorite tradition is not ever having to buy anyone gifts because he is not in a relationship. 

“Honestly, I don’t really understand why it’s even a main holiday,” Davis said. “Nothing would change if we didn’t have it.”

The Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) suggests focusing on self-care for those dealing with sadness or worry surrounding Valentine’s Day. 

According to Dr. Deborah Serani, dealing with the sadness from a breakup or a lost love can be extremely harrowing any day, but when a celebratory date like Valentine’s Day rolls around, it makes the grieving experience even worse. She encourages everyone to make sure to take care of themselves by feeding their senses with comforting experiences.