Student journalists recognized by KSPA

Ann Pomeroy, Newtonian Editor-in-Chief

Senior Matt Olson

The Kansas Scholastic Press Association (KSPA) has recognized three NHS students for their work in journalism this school year. Despite the transition to a new journalism adviser and battling the everchanging pandemic school learning modes, The Newtonian staff was recognized during the November contest. Many of Newton’s submissions were featured in the fall online issue of The Newtonian.

“I was delighted to see that the journalism students at NHS were recognized after their hard work this school year,” NHS Journalism Adviser Dan Page said. “I have challenged all of the journalism students to rise above all the adversity they have dealt with this school year and make the most of it.”

Junior Daniel Gonzalez-Arevalo

The results of the November contest were released on the morning of Dec. 18 for the 19 different categories for student journalists to compete in. Returning staff members, senior Matt Olson, junior Daniel Gonzalez-Arevalo and junior Ann Pomeroy were recognized as award recipients. Olson was awarded first place for his submission in the political opinion writing category. His piece regarded the recently appointed Supreme Court Judge Amy Coney Barrett.  

Gonzalez-Arevalo received second place for his Arts and Culture spread in the fall issue of The Newtonian. His submission entitled, Student’s favorite places to eat out, was submitted in the Infographics category. This submission featured a replicated map of Newton’s fast food restaurants in great detail and rankings of each restaurant per student survey statistics.  

Junior Ann Pomeroy

Pomeroy was awarded first place for her submission entitled, 64 days. This piece was featured in the fall issue of The Newtonian as a photo essay. The submission included six pictures reflecting on the 64 days since the start of the 2020-21 school year branching from an illustration of a camera on a tripod.

“The entire staff of both The Newtonian and The Railroader continue to show a great work ethic spending extra time outside of school hours working on this year’s publications, ” Page said. “I can’t wait to see the work they do next.”