Winter Sports Limitations

Winter Sports Limitations

Libby Crawford, Reporter

Winter sports athletes were given the exciting news that their season will start on time with only a slight break. On Tuesday Nov. 24, The Kansas State High School Activities Association (KSHSAA) agreed upon starting winter sports as normal on Dec. 1. 

As of Dec. 10 each participant family will be allowed two spectators. This was decided in the Dec. 8 KSHSAA Board of Directors meeting, appealing the ruling of no spectators until Jan. 29. However, due to the mode of learning the USD 373 district is currently in, there will be no spectators allowed at any of its events.

Once December competition has been completed, there will be a break from Dec. 23 through Jan. 7. Practices will begin again on Jan. 4.

According to KSHSAA, basketball tournaments are discouraged and in wrestling, there can be no more than eight teams or 112 wrestlers participating in any given competition. Later in the winter sports season, there may be more adjustments announced regarding other winter sports such as swimming/diving and bowling. 

Originally there were proposals to limit the number of events that each sport would be allowed to participate in. As of Nov. 4, all of those proposals were declined. These proposals called for the reduction of each season and delay the season further until Jan. 15. 

Going forward, masks will be mandatory for all spectators, athletes, coaches and officials. Exceptions apply solely for athletes and officials while engaged in physical activity or for medical reasons. Once the athlete or official is finished with their competition a mask is required to be put back on. 

These guidelines have greatly affected the annual Tournament of Champions hosted at NHS. There will be no performances from cheerleaders, Railiners or drumline this year. Along with these restrictions referring to the spirit squads they must be six feet from the baseline at basketball games and with a maximum of eight cheerleaders in attendance. Regarding wrestling, cheerleaders are only allowed at one mat meets still with a limit of eight cheerleaders. 

“As a member of Do-Crew I’m really going to miss being able to cheer on our team, and having our student section go crazy,” senior Luke Schmidt said.