Opinion: The ACT should not be a thing

Libby Crawford, Reporter

The ACT test is a four section test (english, math, reading and science) that high school juniors and seniors take to prepare for college. This tests the students’ comprehension of what they have learned throughout high school to possibly help them get scholarships depending on their score out of 36. 

According to the Heninger Report, one in four schools are no longer requiring ACT/ SAT scores due to questions arising on whether the test truly conveys students’ knowledge. According to The Washington Post, the number of colleges that are requiring these specific tests have decreased by 40 percent in the past year. 

These tests are aimed at measuring a students’ knowledge and college readiness on a given day instead of over a period of time. There are many factors that could play into having a bad test score, something so little as a bad night’s sleep could do the trick. While there are ample chances to retake the test there is also a fee of $50 each time which some students may not be able to afford. 

Therefore, in my opinion, this test should not be a part of the deciding factor in how much scholarship money you are granted. 

Due to the fact that the test is timed, many students are more worried about getting all the questions answered instead of reading through and carefully completing each question. This measures how well a student can take a test under pressure and not their knowledge. Every student has a different way of learning, it takes some longer to read and comprehend the text and some take a shorter amount of time. 

For this reason, some may not have time to comprehend the text while also going through and answering the questions in the short period allotted from the ACT. Students who may do well in school can also not be good test takers which result in the ACT showing that they may not be ready to take college classes. 

Today, over 360 colleges and universities are having the ACT/SAT tests as optional on their applications according to The Washington Post. In my experience, my ACT score accompanied the scholarship money that my grade point average (GPA) would have been awarded. It’s good that colleges are willing to understand that your GPA highlights your academic excellence more than one test on a specific given day. While in some cases the ACT score may help a student whose GPA may be below average but their ACT score is high. Therefore, the ACT can either help or hurt you depending on your GPA. 

In my opinion, a four hour test should not show your academic performance throughout the entirety of high school and prove if you are ready for college. A students’ GPA throughout high school will better convey their hard work and work ethic and therefore how one will perform in college.