Ping Pong club introduced

Kamryn Archibald

Juniors Avery Dutcher and David Pomeroy play ping pong during their first club meeting on Oct. 11.

Thanks to the variety of clubs provided at NHS, the age-old game of table tennis has been newly introduced to students during the 2019-20 school year. In search of a new way to spend time with friends, sophomore Jonah Remsberg took the opportunity to join ping pong club.

“I enjoy playing ping pong with my friends,” Remsberg said. “and sometimes the sponsors play with us, it’s pretty casual.”

With new clubs showing up each year, it makes you wonder what it would take to actually start one.

“All the clubs at Newton High School are student initiated,” english teacher and ping pong club sponsor Brian Skinner said. “So if a student wants a club started, then they need to secure one or two sponsors that are willing to be the sponsor for the club, and then after that they need to get a minimum of 10 other students that sign up that say ‘Hey I want this to be a club, here’s the purpose of the club, here’s the sponsors,’ and have everyone sign off.”

When ping pong club meets, the main goal is to spend time with your friends, improve your table tennis skills and have a good time while doing it.

“My favorite part is probably going in and just hanging out with my friends in there, and actually playing the game,” junior Gabe Gaddert said.