True happiness achieved being yourself

Lorelei Jacobs

More stories from Lorelei Jacobs

We have heard it since we were little; be yourself. Everywhere we look there is an inspirational poster with a quote about embracing your character. Despite the constant reminders from parents and teachers throughout grade school, what does it mean to be “one’s self”? Throughout high school, I have learned that being yourself is one way of achieving true happiness.

High school is the time for finding out who you are, what you like, what you do not like and even who you surround yourself with; a concept that I find nerve-wracking. There are going to be times when you feel like everyone is watching and judging you, although this is not necessarily true. Feeling confident in yourself begins with your own thoughts, not others.

Starting my freshman year, I thought I knew the type of person I wanted to be. I wanted to be a cheerleader who was active in school and participated in events, but in order to be this person I had to hide the real side of me. Throughout high school I struggled to balance the image I wanted with my true self. It all boiled down to accepting who I am and being comfortable with that image.

Now as I near the end of senior year, I found that embracing who I really am helped me deal with conflicts and make hard decisions. This year has been the best year. I’ve found that being my true self and not caring what others think is the best way to go through high school.

All high school students want to fit the mold and I have fallen victim of this as well. I’ve found that breaking your stereotype will allow you to feel confident in who you are. It is hard to accept yourself when we live in a society where everyone tries to portray themselves as something that they are not.

In addition to struggling with stereotypes, high school students have fallen victim to insecurities. Everyone has insecurities and things they hide from others, although accepting yourself with a positive mindset is essential for surviving high school. Embrace your weird side, love your imperfections, show off your strengths and talents and do not forget to have fun in high school.