What is a CTSO?

Career and technical student organizations

More stories from Faye Smith, Addie Lindenmeyer

The game of life
March 5, 2019

The DECA organization is known for students interested in becoming a leader and continuing their careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management. These young entrepreneurs are able to compete in events by career cluster such as, Business Management & Administration, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Hospitality & Tourism, Marketing, and Personal Financial Literacy.

As the only CTSO with family as the central focus, Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) aims to build students careers in Family and Consumer Sciences. These students cover a variety of youth concerns, including teen pregnancy, parenting, family relationships, substance abuse, peer pressure,  environment, nutrition and fitness, teen violence and career exploration.

As the largest youth organization in the country, FFA strives to prepare students involved in careers in the agricultural field. Students can develop leadership and career skills by participating in Career Development Events (CDEs). The 26 CDEs range in every field such as Agronomy, Agricultural Sales, Technology and Mechanical Systems, Public Speaking, Floriculture, Livestock Evaluation and Parliamentary Procedure to name a few.

Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) provides a unique two-fold program with a mission of promoting career opportunities in the healthcare industry. The purpose of the organization includes developing leadership and technical HOSA skills through a program of motivation, awareness and recognition.

Image result for business professionals of america

Business Professionals of America (BPA) is for students pursuing careers in business management, office administration and other business related fields. Students are able to participate in competitions to showcase their knowledge in Finances & Accounting, Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Digital Communication and Design, and Management, Marketing and Communication.

The not-for-profit public charity, Robotics, designs accessible, innovative programs intended to motivate students to pursue education and career opportunities in science technology, engineering and math. The NHS Team 935 participates in regional, state and national competitions in which they design robots with specialized tasks.

Image result for skills usa

Serving more than 300,000 students and instructors annually, SkillsUSA has 13,000 school chapters with a mission of empowering its members to become world-class workers, leaders and responsible American citizens. Students in the Precision Machining & CNC classes compete in the SkillsUSA State Leadership Conference where they participate in events such as CNC Milling, an Automated Manufacturing Team Event and Precision Machining.

Vica Auto

VICA-Auto is an organization in which students focus on the respiration and care of automotive vehicles within their auto building and offering amenities to the public. Students in the Auto program attended the Pratt Community College Academic Olympics Automotive Technology Contest where they conduct an automotive repair portion as well a written test.