Railers basketball split varsity matchups against Derby

Ben Crump

More stories from Ben Crump

Sophomore Ty Berry sinks a free throw at the end of the 4th quarter to secure the win. Varsity boys won 68-65 against the Derby Panthers.

The varsity boys and girls basketball teams hosted a quality team for the homecoming match against the Derby Panthers. Two good teams led to two adrenaline-packed games.

In the girls varsity game, there was plenty of contact between the two teams, with the Railers leading 13-12 at halftime. Senior Kyndal Bacon credited this to a strong Railer defense and united effort from the team.

“Our defense was the best it’s been in a while. We just all played really hard and all out tonight,” Bacon said.

Scoring picked up in the 2nd half until the final possession of the game. Tied at 32-32, Derby’s Tori Alford hit a long three pointer as time expired to win the game 35-32.  

Senior Aubrie Nichols and junior DesiRay Kernal were the leading scorers for the Railers with 10 and 9 points, respectively.

The boys game was very similar as to how close the score was but the numbers were much higher. The Railers and Panthers traded shot after shot with neither of them being able to pull away before the half with the Railers holding a 31-30 lead at the half.

After halftime, the Derby Panthers took  a double digit lead into the 4th quarter 45-56. That’s when the Railers came together. Sophomore Alex Krogmeier hit a three-pointer, sophomore Ty Berry would cut to the basket for layups, junior Damarius Peterson posted up and score while the fans and student section filled Ravenscroft Gymnasium with thunderous

applause. Krogmeier credited the crowd’s energy for their momentum.

“It was the craziest thing; it’s the most hostile environment you could’ve came to and played in. Derby was scared,” Krogmeier said. “They were shaking out there and they didn’t know what was going to happen. Once we got that momentum, they knew they had lost.”

Krogmeier was right. The Panthers had no answer for a dominant Railer offense. After a big made free throw by Berry to stretch the lead to three points, Derby had one chance. They threw the ball up to a man streaking down the court, but the Railers were there to meet them. Peterson secured the missed three-pointer for a rebound and the win.

Both boys and girls basketball will travel to Hutchinson Tuesday to take on the Salthawks.

During halftime, winter sports candidates were introduced and the winter sports king and queen were announced. Candidates included Kyndal Bacon, Miguel (Angel) Lujano, Skylar Botterwick, Sidney Simmons, Esmeralda Hernandez and Jason Wong. Each pair walked out to the center of the court as they were being introduced. Wong and Hernandez were crowned winter sports king and queen.

Both Wong and Hernandez had a range of emotions at coronation.

“[It feels] overwhelming [to be queen], I would’ve never expected it, Hernandez said. “It was a really cool moment,” Hernandez said.

“It feels pretty great, I’m really excited about it and I’m ready to dance,” Wong said.