FFA students attend national convention

Caroline Barger

More stories from Caroline Barger

Future Farmers of America (FFA) members traveled to Indianapolis, Ind. to attend the national convention taking place Oct. 18-23. While there, students will be attending different leadership, career, business and industry workshops. They will also be sitting in on the general sessions lead by the national FFA officers.

“They are going to hear some motivational speakers, hear the retiring addresses from national officers and see some of the different awards students from across the country have won through the different projects that they work on and maybe get some ideas of what they can do when they get home,” agriculture teacher Mackenzie Witzel said.

FFA students were required to fill out an application based on leadership questions. Their applications were then reviewed by a committee outside of the school. The committee selected the students that they feel will benefit from going to the national convention and bring what they learn back to the Newton FFA chapter.
“We have seven students that have been selected to go, two of them are freshmen members. Two spots are saved for the freshmen members who compete in the FFA creed contest,” Witzel said.

Senior Abby Harder has been involved in FFA for two years has been one of the members selected to attend the national convention.
“I think it will be a really great experience and I will be able to learn a lot since I have never attended nationals. I could learn things I would be able to take back to the Newton FFA chapter and just apply what I learned here at school,” Harder said.