German students plan first trip since COVID pandemic

Pexels

Pexels

On May 29, nine students and German teacher Nanette Bergen will be taking off to visit Germany. The students will be spending 11 days and 10 nights in Germany visiting many different places within the country.

Germany is the seventh largest country in Europe with many sightseeing and tourist attractions. According to Deutschland.de, 37 million tourists from all over the world come to Germany every year. The students and Bergen will be visiting and staying in Nördlingen, Cologne, Borkum, Dresden and Berlin.

“We’re going to several different cities and towns and we’re going to do a lot of sightseeing,” junior Lucy Buller said. “I know we’re going to one or two concentration camps and a few different cathedrals and churches. I think we will also probably go to some museums.”

Some German students participated in a bierock fundraiser that took place in the fall of this school year. Bergen says the bierock fundraiser is mainly used for field trips and the German club, but a little bit of the extra money can be used for the trip if needed. Bergen also said most students pay for the trip on their own.

“I had to work for it. Some people’s parents are helping out, but I decided to get a job to pay for it,” senior Piper Seidl said.

The students will be taking two flights to Germany and three flights to get back home. When they are in Germany, they will be walking and using busses and trains to get around the different parts of the country.

“I’m getting rail passes so that we can just take a train wherever and whenever and in the bigger cities hopefully we can take busses or walk,” Bergen said.

Bergen plans on implementing the student’s German learning when they visit restaurants and various stores.

“[Bergen] talked about taking a museum tour where the person who shows us around speaks in full German,” Seidl said. “There’s a version of doing an English as well, but we thought about doing the German one.”

There are eight seniors and one junior taking the German trip. Bergen has not had the opportunity to take German students on a trip since 2019 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I am most excited to take these students, I don’t have any students right now in the school that has been to Germany on a German trip because of Covid so I’m just excited to be able to show them stuff that we’ve been talking about for the last four years,” Bergen said.