Students share opinions on biggest summer movies

Creative+Commons

Creative Commons

When people think about hanging out with friends and family, oftentimes they think of watching movies. The most popular movies that came out this summer were Top Gun: Maverick; Minions: The Rise of Gru and Thor: Love and Thunder just to name a few.
Top Gun: Maverick is an action-drama thriller starring Tom Cruise. The film is about a test pilot that trains a whole new class of students for a dangerous mission. Minions: The Rise of Gru is an action, crime and comedy film starring Steve Carell. The film takes place in the 1970s when young Gru wants to join a villainous group but embarks on a new mission, which is to get away. Thor: Love and Thunder stars Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman. This film is an action-adventure comedy and superhero film. After saving the world with his friends, Thor wants to find peace within himself until a dangerous villain pops out. Sophomore Piper Fike believes that most sequels are bad, but Top Gun: Maverick was her favorite sequel of all time.
“My favorite movie that came out during the summer was Top Gun: Maverick because the action scenes were amazing. [I think] most sequels kinda suck but this sequel was my favorite,” Fike said “I did not have a least-favorite movie that came out this summer.”
Unlike Fike, sophomore Caleb Schmidt disliked many of the movies that came out this summer. The Black Phone was his least favorite movie because the plot didn’t make any sense. It hinted at things that were going to happen that did not end up happening. He thought that the movie was terrible.
“My least favorite movie was The Black Phone. That movie was terrible. The plot was terrible and didn’t make any sense and pointed to things that were going to happen in the movie that never happened and were hard to follow.” Schmidt said.
Sophomore Ethan House has an interesting point of view on his favorite movie that came out this summer. His favorite was Lightyear and his least favorite movie was also Lightyear. It was his least favorite movie because the entire plot was boring and uninteresting but there was just one line that made the movie pretty good.
“There was just one line where the cat called Socks said, ‘I bought you five minutes’ in the most monotone voice possible and it was pretty funny,” House said.“The rest of the movie, let’s just say that you have a kid’s formula and you turned it into a movie, nothing else added, you just took the formula.”
The movies that were released overall this summer were viewed as underwhelming by people and critics alike, but there were some movies that came out this summer that people thought were really good. More movies that came out this summer were Nope, Bullet Train and Jurassic World: Dominion. “Jurassic World: Dominion the acting was really good and honestly was a good movie overall. I enjoyed the whole thing and I loved everything about it,” sophomore Claudia Medina said. “I really wanted to see the new Minion movie because everyone made it seem so good.”