Students reflect on Met Gala event

Addie Clayton, Reporter

There is no question that the Met Gala is a big event not only for the people who attend but also for the people who watch, from the comfort of their own homes. The Met Gala is an annual fundraising event for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Many sources state that the Met is one of the biggest fashion events. The event is normally held on the first Monday in May, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic the last Met Ball was hosted in 2019, and this year’s event was then pushed back to Sept. 13, according to Vogue. 

The only people who attend the Met Gala in person are mainly celebrities and news outlets. The people are invited by the co-chairs of the ball and they either pay a $30,000 ticket cost or are invited by fashion brands such as Dior, Wintour, Louis Vuitton, etc. These brands then pay for the costs according to Fox Business. The day after the Met Gala is exciting for many fashion enthusiasts just because people on social media apps such as TikTok, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter have lots of opinions on the stars’ outfits they wore and openily start debates about them on these social media platforms.    

“I normally don’t watch the Met Gala live but I do look at all the pictures the day of or the day after. I really liked all of the different varieties of outfits this year and how they were all unique in their own way,” sophomore Ava Claassen said. 

Claassen said she enjoys watching the Met Gala because she likes how every year you get to see different outfits and there is no repetition. Claassen also loves how the designers design very unique outfits and even when designers have a theme to their designs the outfits are all still very different.

“I loved Emma Chamberlain’s outfit. It was really simple for the Met but I think it was a good kind of simple for the Met. Another I loved was Hunter Schafer’s look. I loved her face makeup and colored contacts. I loved the simplicity of it and how flattering it was. It all just went together really well,” Claassen said. “I didn’t like Kid Cudi’s because I think it was too casual for the Met. I think he could have done something more with it. Kim Kardashian’s was another I didn’t like because it was very different and not the kind of different I particularly like. I didn’t like how her face was covered. I did, however, like the story behind it.”

Additionally, Claassen enjoyed Billie Eillish’s outfit because she loved the way it fell to the ground. Each Met Gala has co-chairs that help with the guest list, food and decorations. This year’s co-chairs included Billie Eillish, Timothee Chalamet, Amanda Gorman and Naomi Osaka. Junior Ava Gillmore loves seeing how people interpret the theme in different and unique ways. She likes to see if they are either on point with the theme or completely far off from it. 

“I think Quannah Chasinghorse had one of the best [outfits], I just loved what she did for the theme and how she incorporated her own culture. Lili Reinhart also had an amazing look, with how she had the 50 state flowers in her outfit,” Gillmore said. 

Gillmore said she did not like Mindy Kaling’s outfit because she thinks it was too bland for the Met. She also did not like Kim Petras’ outfit because she did not enjoy the horse head dress she was wearing.

“I just love seeing all of the different outfits and the variety of looks from the Met Gala. They are always different and never the same,” Claassen said.