Students struggle to stay motivated

Daniel Gonzalez-Arevalo, Reporter

As the school year comes to an end, many students are already looking forward to their summer vacation. With a few days left of school, it has become harder for some students to stay checked in mentally. Finals exams or assignments only begin to boost the anxiety for many students to finish their work and be done with school. However, since the school year still has not officially ended, many students are finding ways to continue to stay motivated through the end of the year. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused the past year to be one of the most memorable for many people. From the quarantines, having to wear masks, and also switching back and forth between hybrid and remote learning. Senior Josie Bacon feels as though everyone is ready to be done with all of the chaos. 

School can usually be very stressful for students but thanks to COVID we’ve had a particularly hectic year,” Bacon said. “I think everyone is just excited for a break.”

Similarly, junior Linda Shine is also ready for the summer vacation. With the school year coming to an end, she has found herself trying to gain more free time by doing all of her work at school. 

I have been trying to finish all of my homework early so I can have more free time,” Shine said. “I’ve definitely found it more difficult to stay focused recently because I’m just so ready to finish the school year and move on to summer.”

Most students are faced with more days of school, however, senior students do not have to come for the last week. Seniors will get out of school early in preparation for graduation and all of the festivities that follow. This makes it easier for Bacon to keep herself motivated and level-headed.

I just have to remind myself that I only have minimal time left as a high school student, since it’s my senior year,” Bacon said. “If I stay focused the last few days my hard work will pay off.”

For other students like Shine, the last week of school has been difficult. With many classes being a mix of grades that include seniors, juniors and even sophomores and freshmen, many finals have been taken early with the senior class. Students who have taken finals already find themselves struggling to find things to do, only increasing their boredom with the final week of the school year. 

“I’ve been doing fine with staying level headed but the hardest thing has been coming to school just because I don’t have anything to do,” Shine said. “I’ve already taken all of my finals and now I’m just watching movies or just doing nothing in all of my classes, so it’s been hard to find the motivation to come to school recently.”

Despite the anxiety and tensions running high in the final days of the year, it can be nerve wracking for many students to realize that the school year has ended so quickly. Bacon finds herself having mixed feelings about the year ending. 

Being a senior, it can be hard to keep a balance between my remaining school work and my emotions towards graduating,” Bacon said. “I think the hardest part is just grasping that this is the last time I have to do this and it can be nerve wracking and exciting.”