NHS hosts summer credit recovery program

Eris Rindt, Reporter

For the first time in 10 years, NHS is holding a summer credit recovery program. On May 5 on the Newton High School Facebook page administration posted a graphic that provided information about the program. The program is offered to all high school students that have failed a course during the regular school year. 

High school students or their guardians must talk to their counselor to register for the program. According to the NHS school catalog, in order for students to be able to graduate they need at least 24 credits. If a student fails a class they do not receive that credit and therefore must retake the course. Students can look at how many credits they have on their online transcript located on Infinite Campus.

“[The focus is] to provide students an opportunity to recover credit,” counselor Jana Crittenden said. “This may count as high school credit. Each class is the equivalent of .5 or one semester of credit. Students must complete the [entire] course in order to earn the credit.”

The program starts in June, and has a morning and afternoon time available. The first session starts Jun. 7-Jul. 1 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m or the afternoon session 12:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Session two starts Jul. 6-Jul. 26 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and the afternoon session is 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. The program is staffed by teachers from NHS. Edgenuity is the online program being used to help teach students and give assignments. Edgenuity has been approved by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and is said to focus on helping athletes stay focused on both sports and academics. 

“There are 4 sessions to be offered, 30 seats available in each session. Summer school will be using an online platform called Edgenuity,” Crittenden said. “Assignments will consist of both online and offline activities.”

A recent study shows that an estimated 40% of high school students in the U.S. are going to enroll in summer school according to Think Impact. This year summer school completed through NHS has no cost for students. If students can not get a ride to NHS building to participate in the summer recovery program there will be transportation provided if they meet the required criteria. 

“This is the first time in about 10-12 years that NHS has held summer school,” Crittenden said. “Previous summer school recovery credit options were for pay – students had to pay for the credit, summer of 2019 was the last summer school option at the Harvey County Learning Center and cost was $150 per .5 credit for one class.”