Astrology ignites debate among student body

Eris Rindt, Reporter

Over the past several months, there has been an increase in popularity and discussion surrounding astrological signs. Some believe strongly in their zodiac signs while others are against them greatly. The argument of zodiac signs and their accuracy has been reported as far back as the Babylonian era. Most commonly accepted, there are 12 different astrological signs. Typically zodiac signs are not aligned with the month you were born in, but instead overlap with the next or previous month. 

In America, 23% of people read their horoscope every day according to surveys conducted by the Smithsonian Magazine. People are thought to believe in astrology because it often gives them guidance according to Nine Com AU. However, only around 29% of U.S. adults believe in astrology according to a research study by Living Facts.

“I believe that astrology is real because I have seen people act like their sign,” freshman Reagan Boaldin said. “[Astrology] explains a lot and people can have fun with it and joke about it without being offended.”

Britannica features astrology in the philanthropy and religion section of their website. Since the Bible can be interpreted in different ways some Christians have different views on the subject according to Liveabout Dotcom. 

“Any religion that believes in freewill is in contradiction with astrology,” senior Trey Swingle said. “As if freewill is to exist then the predetermination of attributes as seen in astrology is in contradiction with freewill. It is like a religion so if you want to believe in it go for it but don’t get preconceived notions of someone based on their birth month.”

People often use zodiac charts to see what they will act like, who they are romantically compatible with, what their day might be like and different general facts about their zodiac sign. On streaming platforms like Spotify, there are various podcasts that conduct daily uploads telling people what their day might be like based on their signs.

I definitely believe over half of people act like their sign, but some people don’t, some people don’t even like their own sign,” freshman Lanayah Rivera said. “My favorite thing about the [astrology] community is that we don’t force traits on to people, if you don’t act a certain way we won’t base you off that, we get to know you before basing you off a stereotype, like Geminis, people say they are two faced but every Gemini I have met I have become really good friends with.”

Based on a school wide survey featuring 50 student responses, 70% of NHS students say they do not believe in astrology. NASA has recently said that the planet’s alignments could affect the way a person acts but there is no official science behind it according to CBS News

The idea that my birth month can control who I am compatible with is illogical to me,” Swingle said. “Astrology is the same as believing in bigfoot. I believe the idea of astrology is inaccurate in too many areas to warrant a reasonable belief in its validity.”