Horticulture class makes prom corsages

Addie Clayton, Reporter

Each year for prom the horticulture class at NHS makes corsages and boutonnieres for the student body to purchase. However, this year they did not sell corsages and boutonnieres due to the delay of the fall FFA events that had been rescheduled for the spring, around the same time as prom, according to NHS horticulture teacher Lacie Fair. 

Horticulture is the study of plants and their use for humans. The horticulture class at NHS learns about nursery landscape design, floriculture, gardening and greenhouse management.

Senior Abby Chappell Deckert focuses on her flower.

“In a normal year we take at least one class period and one evening to make all of the ordered boutonnieres and corsages. Students come in after school to help and then they are picked up by the customers from the Ag shop either the day before or the day of prom,” Fair said. “Generally we sell the boutonnieres for $10 and the corsages for $15, so a pair with matching designs would be $25. This is very close to the cost you would see at Dillons or Ruzens. In the past we have emailed an order form to all of the students in the junior and senior class. We have even considered having a flyer with information when prom tickets are purchased.”

The proceeds that the horticulture class usually makes go towards materials the class uses during the year in the greenhouse. Although the horticulture class did not sell boutonnieres and corsages this year, Fair continued the tradition by teaching her class how to make their own. The class also made centerpiece arrangements for the tables at prom. There are various aspects that come into play when arranging the flowers such as the care for the flowers and the time it takes to make the arrangements.

“You always want to start with an idea of what your arrangement will look like and what supplies are available during the season. Care really depends on the type of flowers and how long you need them to hold or stay fresh before your event. Usually we use refrigeration to help slow the process of the flowers wilting just like a professional flower shop does,” Fair said. “Time usually depends on the size of your arrangement. Anything from 15-20 minutes all the way up to an hour is feasible for centerpieces.”

Junior Kaitlyn Simons prepares her flower for display.

With experience in making arrangements for prom, senior Anna Harder is now able to make her own flower arrangements. 

“My favorite part about making the different centerpieces is learning how to make them, so I can make them on my own. I can now make a centerpiece for any occasion and I can make my own corsages and boutonnieres,” Harder said. “The hardest part about making a centerpiece is making all the flowers and props go together. In this case, we had to make the masks, the feathers and the flowers all fit together in one vase.”

In years past when the horticulture class has made corsages and boutonnieres, students say they have really liked them and appreciated the opportunity to buy from students and the school directly, such as Harder herself before she was a part of the horticulture class. 

“I have not taken a horticulture class before this year, but my sophomore year my best friend and I bought some corsages from the horticulture class and we really liked them. It is cool knowing your classmates made them themselves and you are supporting a good cause,” Harder said.