Ebert creates suicide prevention clothing brand

Addie Clayton, Reporter

Many teens today struggle with their mental health. In fact, 50% of lifetime mental illnesses develop by age 14 according to The National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI). Senior Carsen Ebert is empowered to promote change by encouraging awareness of mental illnesses through the creation of his own clothing brand called I Love Myself (ILM).

Some people who struggle with mental illness are afraid to speak up about it in fear of judgment by friends or family and fear of people not believing them according to Bruin Voice. Part of this is exactly what prompted Ebert to create his own clothing brand.

“I want people to know that someone that wears an ILM shirt is a safe person. A lot of people are afraid to talk to other people about depression because they feel like they wouldn’t understand. There are so many people that go through this especially in high school and it’s important for them to know that they’re not alone,” Ebert said.

Ebert is currently working on designing and selling t-shirts, sweatshirts and hats. The t-shirts will be priced at approximately $13.50 each, the hats will be approximately $15 and the sweatshirts between $14 and $20. Half of the profit that he makes will go to NAMI.

“I personally struggle with depression and know that it’s very difficult to continue going when you feel like you’re completely alone. I wanted to make a brand that not only donates money to NAMI but also lets people know that you’re not alone,” Ebert said.

NAMI is the nation’s largest mental health organization. They are an alliance of more than 600 local affiliates and 48 state organizations that help raise awareness for mental health related concerns.

“Originally, I was going to outsource the production and try and save efficiency but I eventually decided that I would rather put in the effort myself to ensure that they were the best quality possible,” Ebert said.

Ebert is planning on selling the items through word of mouth and eventually moving to an E-Commerce store that ships worldwide. Ebert has not started selling merchandise yet but is currently in the process of making a test round of shirts.

“Every design is different, but the first round will be an embroidered ILM in italics on the upper left chest of the shirts and sweaters. The hat will also be the same design but in the center. I’m currently working on designs every day,” Ebert said.

Ebert has completed all the work himself other than asking for others opinions and input on the designs and other aspects of his brand. Junior McKenna Porter has helped by giving him her thoughts on his designs and logos.

“He’s had me look over some of his designs and logos for his clothing brand that he thinks would be good to sell, and asks me what I think. There are certain things like what type of shirts he wants to use and he wants other input to make sure that everything will be perfect,” Porter said.

Carsen hopes that after high school he can grow his brand throughout college by continuing to sell his apparel.

“I think that his clothing brand may have a rough start like any other brand starting out, but he’s very determined and he wants to be successful in anything he does. I know that once his brand gets a kickstart, that people would love to buy his stuff,” Porter said.

He wants people to know that ILM is and will be a great brand.

“Anyone who wears ILM apparel is an open person. Talk to them because they’re with you too,” Ebert said.