Are Promposals still in?

Matt Olson, Reporter

Promposals have been a hit trend since the early 2000s, but have since dwindled in popularity. Whether it is through a decorative poster, or “Prom?” spelled out in donuts or cupcakes, it used to be a heartwarming and creative way to ask someone to accompany oneself to the memorable high school event. Although it is natural for trends to die, whether it takes two weeks or several years, there are still several NHS students carrying on the tradition.

I put sticky notes covering his entire car with the word prom on it,” senior Alyssa Lujano said. “I did this because I felt it was a fun way to ask a friend. I personally think it’s an exciting way to ask someone even if you know you’re going with them.”

Contrary to Lujano, junior Lezlly Acevedo decided to not prompose this year, but still likes the idea of promposals. Acevedo believes that promposals do not necessarily need to be romantic, but can also be an act of friendship.

“I like promposals because they really show if the person is into the person or not, as friends or more,” Acevedo said. “It’s just fun and always fun to see people’s reaction.”

Some students think that promposals make the whole prom experience more meaningful than simply asking the person if they want to go. Having a story to tell is important to some when reflecting on their highschool years.

“I like the idea of promposals because in my opinion it makes it fun and more memorable than if you just got a text asking,” junior Hallie Watkins said. “It seems a lot more heartfelt.”

From comparing experiences at her previous school, Acevedo says that fewer people are giving promposals nowadays. She thinks there is a lack of effort and thought put into the promposal experience. 

I feel like fewer people are promposing this year because of weird reasons like getting a no or just not wanting to put the time and effort,” Acevedo said. “Since I came here to Newton, there really haven’t been any real promposals, but at other schools you’d see them all the time. 

Acevedo says that people from her previous school were much more likely to do promposals, and it is very different since she switched schools.

“I went to Bishop Carroll and I think back there everyone wanted to do it,” Acevedo said. “Someone was always asking someone out to prom or homecoming. They were always something big and extra. Here it just feels as if no one wants to do it almost. I guess it’s something more ‘old school’ but I’m not sure why there isn’t such excitement to do it here.”