Constant change in learning mode causes distress

Cheryl Loeffler’s classroom remains empty during the week of Oct.19 while USD 373 partakes in the orange mode of learning.

Eris Rindt, Reporter

On Oct. 15, USD 373 announced its plan to enter the orange mode of learning after eight positive cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in the district. As of Oct. 19, the district announced that students will return to the yellow mode of learning, otherwise defined as hybrid mode, for the weeks of Oct. 26 and Nov. 2.

Teachers and students voice struggles with the constant change from remote only and hybrid learning. Spanish teacher Cheryl Loeffler voices her concern for students who will take advantage of online classes. Loeffler says she has been able to have a large amount of educational fun with her classes so far this year despite COVID-19 but even with hybrid learning she says it has been difficult to plan lessons. 

“My concerns are about students not engaging in class,” Loeffler said. “Really, coming to class online. It is so important that students show up. I was just beginning to start enjoying my students and we have had some good laughs and conversations. Hybrid was a little better but hard to plan for as we have to plan for [both] remote and in person learning. I have just been recording or staying on the Google Meet for the entire hour.”

Junior Lezlly Acevedo says she prefers learning fully in person because she has become used to it over the past several weeks but she also enjoys hybrid because she still has friends to talk to even while class sizes are limited. Acevedo says she is excited about not having to wear a mask for long periods of time while attending school remotely. 

“I prefer being in person because there’s more examples to go by and it just feels like a better environment,” Acevedo said. “[Green Mode] wasn’t bad but I for sure was more comfortable with hybrid because there were less people and that meant there was more [time] for me to talk to people. I’m looking forward to being at home and not having to deal with wearing a mask all the time!”

Loeffler says that now that students aren’t wearing a mask on google meet it will be beneficial for when she is teaching Spanish. Loeffler is using different tools to help her students better learn as well as be able to produce projects easier. Loeffler is confident that learning will continue to happen no matter what mode the district may be in. 

“The best thing about going remote is I get to see my students without their masks and they can see me without my mask too! I think that could be really helpful for pronunciation in Spanish. I hope the students are prepared to learn at home. I am getting more comfortable teaching online. We got this now and we will continue to learn no matter what mode we are in.”