BPA, DECA students compete, qualify for nationals

Courtesy Photo

Students in BPA pose in front of a backdrop

Due to new club meetings, most clubs only meet once a quarter. However, clubs like Business Professionals of America (BPA) and DECA hold regular meetings to compete in competitions.
During the month of February, students in BPA were finalizing their presentations for state. Once at state, students participated in one individual event and two open tests on the topic of their choice.
“I like doing the events. I think they’re cool and it’s a good way to meet new people,” freshman Megan Rice said.
One event at state includes voting for incoming members of BPA state office, which is voted upon by voting delegates.
“Being a voting delegate is really nice, it gives you a feeling of importance,” junior Caitlynn Ericson said. “Even though you’re just voting on different offices, it’s nice to be involved in the process.”
After the conference comes to an end, students find out if they qualified for nationals. This year, eight members are going to be attending nationals in Washington D.C.
“I am very excited to go to Nationals,” Rice said. “With it being my first year in BPA, I’m excited to meet new people outside of our state.”
As for DECA, Students competed in a state level contest March 1 through 3 in Manhattan.
“Through these DECA competitions, I have learned a lot more about marketing than I thought I would and also how to network and make connections,” senior Becca Meyer said.
Once at state, students had to oppunitunity to participate in skit-like competitions dealing with scenarios they may encounter in the business world, or enter in a 100 question test on a subject of their choosing.
“Competing in DECA is really fun but also challenging, but worth it when you win,” junior Emily Tolbert said.
DECA had two students placed at state, Meyer and Tolbert, but no student qualified for nationals.
“I was a little disappointed when I found out I had taken fifth,” Tolbert said. “I was upset but it felt nice to be acknowledged for something that I worked hard on.”