District receives spot on Advanced Placement honor roll

Kaete Schmidt

More stories from Kaete Schmidt

This year, USD 373 was one of 433 districts in the United States and Canada chosen for the Advanced Placement District Honor Roll. This is the second year that Newton has been chosen for the exclusive spot on the honor roll, with 2013 being the first year.

“This time in 2016 we are one of only two schools in Kansas, both public and private, to be on the honor roll. The only other one is Overland Park Blue Valley. We are only the third school district in Kansas to receive the award more than once. Lawrence and the Kansas City Catholic school diocese are the only others that have made the list more than once,” AP U.S. History and AP American Government and Politics teacher Grant Scott said.

Not only is this honor roll highly selective and coveted, but this is also Newton’s second time receiving the honor, which happens very infrequently in Kansas.

“We are one of only two schools in Kansas both public and private to be on the honor roll. The only other one is Overland Park Blue Valley. And we are only the third school district in Kansas to receive the award more than once. Lawrence and the Kansas City Catholic school diocese are the only others that have made the list more than once,” Scott said.

When choosing districts to be on the AP Honor Roll, the College Board looks at a three year period. They consider the number of students who took the AP exam, the number of students who scored a three or above on the exam and the increase in enrollment and availability of AP courses. Newton offers AP courses that include AP U.S. History, AP American Government and Politics, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Psychology, AP Biology and AP English Literature.

Not only is USD 373 very proud of the work they have done, but they are also very proud of the AP students who helped the district receive a spot on the honor roll.

“Our students are the ones that especially continue to put the work the time and the energy into it and they score at a very high level and many of them get college credit for it,” Scott said.

AP Biology teacher Jerry Epp agrees that the students play a big role in being chosen for the honor roll.

“I think it reflects not only work by teachers, but also the work and commitment by students,” Epp said.