AP enrollment plummets at semester

Students relieve workload, satisfy credit requirements

Taylor Tasaka

More stories from Taylor Tasaka

At beginning of the first semester, 302 students were enrolled in an AP class. After winter break, the number dropped to 259 for second semester.

Some students chose to alter their schedule with classes that better fit their career choice, others dropped classes to relieve their workload, or some simply dropped classes because better opportunities surfaced.

Senior Ryan Hirsh has spent his high school career challenging himself with honors/AP courses. His sophomore year, Hirsh enrolled in Honors World History before continuing onto AP US History and American Government. This path allowed Hirsh to be able to complete the credits required to graduate. Once the credit was complete, Hirsh discovered an alternative by taking a Hutchinson Community College Psychology class.

“I didn’t originally plan on dropping AP US History. I took the class to continue the honors route I had originally started but I saw another opportunity. I talked to some of my college counselors and they recommended getting it out of the way and getting ahead of the game,” Hirsh said.

Often times, AP teachers will see a dip in their student rosters with the beginning of second semester. Within the 2017-18 school year, on average each AP teacher noticed an average of 8.6 students dropping a class they teach. AP US History and Economics teacher, Mark George was a teacher who witnessed the drop first handedly.

“Some dropped to enroll in college psychology, some dropped because they fulfilled their credit responsibilities for social sciences, some didn’t enjoy the class, some were not taking the AP exam, and some wanted to take an elective that they thought was interesting,” George said.