HOSA Comeback

Juniors Emma Huntley, Karlyn Archibald, Lauren Crawford, and Cambri Koehn pose for picture at their HOSA conference.

Some dream of saving lives, some are fascinated with the ever-changing science of medicine, some wish to continue a legacy and others cherish the potential relationships they could build with people in their community. There are a multitude of reasons why someone would wish to partake in HOSA, Health Occupations Students of America, and aspire to be a future health professional, which is why it is not surprising that Newton High School’s chapter of HOSA has seen a notable increase in both members and involvement this year.

Like many other organizations, COVID-19 greatly restricted the activities of HOSA. Conferences became virtual, events were canceled and membership was declined. However, members are happy to see more opportunities begin to open back up and are hopeful that the positive change is permanent. Events are beginning to be held again, they are transitioning back to in-person and club members have become more engaged.

“In my freshman and sophomore years, we didn’t really do much in HOSA,” junior Abigail Koontz said. “This year, as president, the officers and I wanted to change this; we’re putting on more projects, going to conferences and having more meetings.”

For the first time in years, HOSA members were able to attend the Fall Leadership Conference, an event filled with team-building and leadership activities as well as opportunities to build connections with prominent local healthcare professionals. The Spring Leadership Conference, another conference that allows members to compete for eligibility to compete in the International Leadership Conference, is scheduled for late March.

“My favorite part about HOSA is the fundraisers and Leadership conferences we get to attend. Through HOSA, we try several fundraisers to help create a better society for those in need,” junior Virgil Guo said.

One popular HOSA-run fundraiser is Pennies for Patients and the event’s proceeds go towards funding the efforts of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, a charitable organization devoted to fighting blood cancer. The club also plans on conducting a new fundraiser to fund AEDs for a local hospital.

“People should know that HOSA is super fun. It gives opportunities to learn more about the health field, provide service to our community and make lots of new friends,” Koontz said.

HOSA offers much more than simply competitions to prove healthcare knowledge or skills- it focuses on developing members as people. Members are given connections to mentors, lasting relationships with peers with whom they share similar interests and aspirations and a community to support them as they navigate through their path toward their dream careers.

“People should know that HOSA is a great organization for those that want to be in a healthcare career or just anyone who wants to improve their leadership skills,” Guo said. “You will get access to tons of meetings with healthcare professionals who will help guide your process of becoming a healthcare professional.”